1887: A statue of the Marquis de Lafayette was added to the square. The sculptor was Lorado Taft. The statue is located on the northeast corner of the square, on top of the fountain.
1897: Two cannons were donated for the Courthouse lawn by the Grand Army of the Republic, to represent veterans of the Civil War. Displayed in the northwest corner is a Howitzer cannon, and in the southeast corner, a Parrot cannon.
1906: An elevator was installed at a cost of $4,000. The original elevator is still in operation. During the renovation a new hydraulic system was added. This elevator serves floors 1-4. A new elevator serves all five floors.